Safety First

Candles are not a JOKE.

They can cause serious damages when not handled properly. PLEASE NEVER leave a candle unattended. If you are stepping out of the room for a second blow it out! They are not toys we play with. Fire is unpredictable and it’s in your home. It’s important to ALWAYS follow the safety instructions. Please read the steps to how to burning Candles below.

NEVER put water on any type of fire to extinguish it.

The water expands violently and throws the hot wax layer above it into the air as small droplets. The wax now has a much bigger surface area exposed to oxygen so combustion takes place very quickly. For similar reasons, water should never be used to extinguish burning grease or fat, which both behave similarly to wax.

The following steps will help minimize your risk when you burn candles in your home :
  • Trim candle wicks to a height of 5-7 mm (1/4 inch) before lighting the candle. Trim them again every 2-3 hours to prevent high flames.
  • Take extra care if you are burning candles with more than one wick. Avoid buying candles with multiple wicks that are close together.
  • Use well ventilated candle holders that are sturdy and will not tip over. Avoid wooden or plastic holders, as these can catch fire. Use caution with glass candle holders, which can break when they get too hot.
  • Never drop objects, like matches, into candles.
  • Keep burning candles away from materials that can catch fire (like curtains, decorations and clothing). If your clothes catch fire, "Stop, Drop and Roll."
  • Keep burning candles out of reach of children and pets.
  • Do not leave candles burning with no one in the room.
  • Extinguish all candles before you go to sleep.
  • Do not burn candles that have lead in the wicks. When you buy candles, ask the retailer if the wicks contain lead.
  • Avoid using decorative oil lamps with liquid fuel if you have children under the age of five in your household. If you choose to use this type of candle, keep the fuel locked away, out of sight and reach of children. If you think your child has swallowed liquid fuel, contact your nearest poison control centre immediately.
  • Teach your children to be careful around open flames. Make sure they understand that candles are not toys, or something they can eat or drink.